December 4, 2015 | 6 pm
Downtown Bristol | MAP
On Friday, December 4, 2015, from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., downtown will be filled with art lovers as several galleries and some local favorites join together to host another Art D’Vine event! This art walk offers patrons the chance to gain after-hours access to merchants, sample domestic and international wines, and enjoy a range of works from artists across the region.
As with the previous gallery hops, participants are invited to stroll around Historic Downtown Bristol, stopping and enjoying all that our downtown has to offer! This Art D’Vine will include Benjamin Walls Gallery, A Work of Art Gallery, The Bristol Public Library, KP Market and Eatery, The Distressed Gentleman, Studio Brew and Hatching Perspective Gallery. Many of the galleries will feature different varieties of wine for sampling.
The Art D’Vine galleries will be highlighting various special events, releases or artists, including:
- Bristol Public Library – “Art and Authors” event going on at Bristol Public Library! The library will have the art works of Brian and Marie Bridgeforth hanging in their Virgie R. Fleenor Gallery. It is a great display – very colorful, fun and different. Coffee and cookies will be provided for anyone visiting the gallery and the first 50 participants will receive a free gift bag. Meanwhile, in the large meeting room the Jan-Carol authors will be available to sign books people may purchase. The authors cover all genres: children's, fantasy, romance, non-fiction, etc.
- Benjamin Walls Gallery – The Benjamin Walls Gallery will offer a rare 10% discount on fine art purchases over $500. The gallery will premiere new images from the coast of Maine to the hills of Tennessee. In addition to his traditional fine art offerings, Benjamin’s sister company WALLSabout, LLC will be promoting a Luxury African Safari. There are only four spaces left to travel along with the adventure-seeking artist to East Africa. This is not a photo tour, but a luxury safari experience that’s open to anyone with a love for travel. Refreshments including hot apple cider will be served.
- A Work of Art – A stop at A Work of Art Gallery & Gifts is sure to put you in the holiday gift-giving spirit! The 40+ local artist vendors have been working hard to bring in new work for you! Small, unique items that make great office gifts or stocking stuffers are available starting at $2 – gifts like ornaments, hand-painted wine bottles, handmade pottery, postcards, note cards, and Bristol-themed snow globes. Larger items from $20–$1,000 will truly make a statement – paintings, furniture, photographs, and stained glass. During this exclusive after-hours shopping experience, you'll have help from multiple artists on-site, so you can be sure to find A Work of Art – a truly unique and memorable gift to give this season!
- Hatching Perspective – The elementary students’ artwork at the Hatching Perspective Gallery in the Virginia School Board Office on Lee Street is going to leave an Impression on you! Students have been studying about the creation of Impressionism with Monet's painting "Impression: Sunrise” as well as learning about his house and gardens in Giverny where he painted "The Japanese Bridge" paintings and "Waterlilies" series. There are also some chalk pastel portraits in the style of Modigliani and watercolors featuring Van Gogh's Field of Cypress Trees as inspiration. Fifth grade students at Stonewall Jackson painted winter landscapes using tints and shades inspired by Canadian artist Lawren Harris. Third graders at Washington Lee created tapestry weavings out of yarn after a visit from Alpacas! There will also be some fantastic middle school art from Jan Black's students. They have created some really impressive zen tangle designs on glass windows and origami frames.
- KP Market and Eatery – Owner of KP Market and Eatery, Lisa Martin’s creative side has grown and she has taken to expressing herself on canvas in the form of fun, abstract acrylic paintings. Nick Freeman, who has been drawing in charcoal for almost 10 years, will also be featured at KP. Freeman’s subject matter ranges from urban landscapes and animals to character studies and iconic figures.
- Studio Brew – Beer is an art, and Studio Brew is the artist! A new addition to downtown, Studio Brew is offering one small tasting from the front 3 taps for each legal attendee. What once began as owner Erich Allen’s photography studio in Kingsport has now expanded into our Arts & Entertainment District in Downtown Bristol. Join in this sharing of the tasty art of beer at the old firehouse museum turned beautiful new brewery.
- The Distressed Gentleman – Bringing life to old furniture is an art in and of itself, and owner Gabe Helton has some hand-painted furniture to showcase! Have a quality piece of furniture at home that you’re unsure about displaying? Visit The Distressed Gentleman for some inspiration on bringing a new look to your own furniture as well as the custom creations for sale on site.
- Kil'n Time Contemporary Ceramic Studio — Make your Christmas gifts extra special this holiday season! Kil'n Time has lots of ornaments, mugs, cookie jars, light up trees, and other decorations for you to make your own — and Art D'Vine participants will receive a special 20% off tonight only!
This event is free to the public, though there is a suggested one-time donation of $5 with the proceeds supporting the work of the Arts & Entertainment District of Historic Downtown Bristol,